You are Ali Baba. The excuses you keep telling yourself are the forty thieves. The forty thieves are holding you back from creating your wealth and being happy. The forty thieves are actively trying to stop you. That is the purpose of the thieves/ excuses.
1) You’re not rich. I know, that is why you’re reading this. You should stop dwelling on that fact and start working on creating your own wealth.
2) You don’t look a certain way. If you feel like you need to be in better shape to pursue a goal of yours like acting, singing or mountain climbing then start exercising. Time is going to pass whether you get on it or not so might as well start getting in shape.
3) You are too tired. Then start sleeping earlier. Stop drinking coffee after lunch time. Start eating smart.
4) You are not smart enough. Start reading up on the subject you wish to know more about. All the smart people love reading. It keeps them smart and keeps them getting smarter. If that works for them then it should work for you.
5) American Idol. I know a lot of people who have goals that they been wanting to pursue but they ‘don’t have time too.’ Yet they never miss an episode of American Idol.
6) America’s Got Talent. Same as above.
7) In reality it’s any t.v. show. They all require you to sit idly for 30 mins to an hour.
8) Professional sports. I hate to admit this because I’m a huge NBA fan. I try to limit myself to two games a week. It is a huge time sucker, especially if you are not already living the life you want to be living.
9) You don’t have the experience. Maybe you really want a different job but you don’t have the experience for it. You can get the experience with some effort. Try getting into an internship or volunteering at a non-profit. Then you can slowly work your way to helping in the specific area you want to get your hands in.
10) Facebook. Countless hours are spent here during the average persons week.
11) Twitter. Same as above.
12) Instagram. Same as above as well.
13) Eating out for dinner. This is a nice way to talk and relax but at the same time you must be aware of the time your’re using up verses how little time you would use up if you just ate at home. Of course a couple times a week can do you some good as well.
14) Eating out with co workers at lunch time. If you stay in and eat lunch at your desk you can get in some valuable reading/ research time.
15) Whining/ complaining. Stop doing it. It doesn’t help you. You need action to reach your goals.
16) Email checking. You don’t need to check your email 20 times a day. You’re just preventing yourself from getting real tasks done.
17) You can’t because you have a full time job. Full time jobs do suck up a lot of time but on the other hand I’ve seen many people start big projects with the little free time they have.
18) Your education is not that impressive. Start working on getting a better education. Or ask yourself if it’s really that important or is it just another excuse your giving yourself to not doing anything. Look into online schools. There are a few good ones popping up that require a monthly fee but the benefit is that you can learn at a time that fits you best.
19) A family member important to you thinks it is stupid. Even after that if you still feel like you can do it then I say go for it.
20) You don’t live in the right location. If this is the case try to move closer to the ‘right location’. If you can’t then maybe it’s just an excuse you’re telling yourself.
21) You are sure your boss wont let you. Talk to him/ her. Don’t be afraid!
22) Now you actually found out your boss wont let you. Well this is a bummer, maybe try adjusting the terms. How about if you fail then the blame falls on you (first be certain you wont fail).
23) You don’t have any good connections. You can create some. Try going to meetings, conventions and talks. Using social media properly is a powerful tool.
24) You’re not business smart. You can learn like every other business savvy person has. Or you can just make sure you make more then you spend.
25) First you need the new, fancy, Apple laptop. Do you really need it to start?
26) You need a new iPad or tablet. See above question.
27) Your tight on money. Do you have a car payment? Try getting rid of your car and buying an equally reliable, nice, used car for just 6 grand. They do the same thing!
28) You need a good partner. There are many businesses that have been successfully started by one person.
29) You like your video games. This one is tough but you know what you need to do.
30) You don’t have motivation right now. Knowing you only have one shot at living the life you want to live should be motivation enough. Try reading The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker.
31) You like to drink. Sometimes alcohol can get in the way of goals.
32) Smoking (Marijuana). This can definitely get in the way of goals. I’ve seen it happen personally to good friends.
33) You are not that creative. Honestly everyone has the potential to be creative. You might just have to work harder.
34) Fear of failure. Stopping at failure is necessary on the road to success.
35) Shopping. This is a huge waste of time that is very popular today. You don’t need anything else. You need to start already though. Do they sell that on Amazon?
36) I have too much debt. If it really is on your way then getting rid of it immediately is a good place to start. Cut back on luxuries. Living with no debt is worth the temporary trouble.
37) You don’t know your purpose yet. It will be easier to discover your purpose by trying different things. Eventually you will find something that you really enjoy.
38) You are supposed to be happy working full time till you’re 63. That was the goal of the system but if it does not work for you then you can definitely get out if you want.
39) You feel guilty and depressed. “Guilt results from unused life, from the unlived in us.” -Ernest Becker
40) You suspect that you might be crazy. This is possible. It could also just be another excuse.